Everyone wants to go home in a comfortable, happy, and safe place. You want to avoid security problems like theft or burglary by making sure your home security is strict. With cyber attacks and crime rates on the rise these days, you want to keep your home as safe as possible.
Many people find it expensive to create a strong security system at home because they use the latest surveillance cameras and motion sensors. However, there are simple and inexpensive ways to improve your home security.
Here are some ways to improve the security of your home:
- Update your locks
It’s so easy for bad guys to break in when your door is unlocked. Some people find the use of locks a huge hassle. Make it a habit of using your outside locks even if you’re planning a quick errand. Upgrade your locks to safer and stronger locks. Here are other lock solutions:
- Use pin locks for your double hanging windows. Pen and ring locks are available in home centers and online by total contec.
- Drill a second hole if you want to lock your window in a partially open position.
- DIY Home Security System Installation
It’s possible to have strong home security without breaking your bank. Home improvement or home improvement security systems offer the same functions as conventional systems such as cameras, window sensors and motion sensors. Now you can rest assured that you can monitor and manage your home security components using your smartphone’s app. Here are the advantages of a home improvement security system:
- It’s wireless so you can remove, install, move, and update your system at any time.
- It’s perfect if you rent out, live in an apartment, or can’t do major installations.
- No long-term and expensive contract to worry about.
- Avoid transferring your plans
Social media is usually used to post updates about your latest trip or vacation. However, you should keep your plans private and avoid posting them on Facebook or any of your social media accounts. You only get your home in trouble when your neighbors, friends, relatives, and strangers know your home is empty. Keep these memories in mind:
- Don’t post pictures of tickets or hotel reservations before, during, or even a few hours after your trip when you are likely to be resting or sleeping.
- If you want to post your travel photos, do so a day or two after you arrive home.
- Hold your Account settings private.
- Installation of reinforcement hardware in doors
In addition to investing in a pimple-proof latch to secure your front door, you can also install reinforcement parts. Burglars forcefully enter a house with a powerful kick or a body slam that splits your door and post. So you have to spice them up with reinforcement parts. Here’s how:
- Measure the thickness of the door and the distance between the latch cylinder and the entry button
- Buy a double or single reinforcement plate kit, preferably all around
- Remove the door bolt cylinder and the entry button
- Remove the latch and discard the short wood screws
- Now install the reinforcement plate
- It’s a good idea to reattach the latch and locking plates with stainless steel screws like long size
- Consider burglars outdoors
Burglars carry out a visual inspection as part of their planning phase. So you need to make sure that your home is not a potential target. Be smart and never let your home be chosen as the first choice for a break-in. Check out these tips and tricks:
- Put a sticker or sign for home security in your gate or entrance, even if you don’t have a sophisticated security system.
- Cut and cut down overgrown vines, bushes and trees around entry points such as garage, windows and doors that burglars can hide.
- Get to know your neighbors
Your neighbor can be your friend or your worst enemy. Be a friendly neighbor to strengthen your home security. They will love to keep an eye on your home while you are away. Here are some effective neighborhood security tips:
- Form a neighborhood watch group.
- Attend neighborhood meetings and discuss home security measures.
- Work with the police if you spot suspicious activity or strangers in the neighborhood.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to achieve and maintain a safe home. While you can invest in sophisticated home security systems, you must also evaluate your actions, be kind to those around you, and show that you can uphold your home security. Now you are better equipped with the proper knowledge and skills to keep your family and property safe.