You already know that choosing interior colors is an important step in decorating your home. The shade you choose to decorate the walls affects the entire interior design project. Your walls function like a canvas you paint on because it influences other aesthetic decisions. However, this is one of the most difficult decisions you will make when decorating your home as you can choose from many options. You may feel that it is impossible to find out which shade is perfect for your home interior. We’ll help you solve this problem as we’ve put together some foolproof guidelines to help you choose the right interior color.
Avoid these misunderstandings when choosing colors
The most entertaining part of painting interior walls is the choice of colors. Before opening the Pantone website, you will find the perfect coloryou should remove any misunderstandings about certain shades. Everyone has misconceptions about certain hues with them and you need to tip them over before narrowing your choices.
- A misunderstanding that many people have is that dark shades in small rooms make them look smaller. Some colors make rooms appear smaller, but sometimes this is not a bad thing. If you want to create an intimate or cozy atmosphere, you can use a dark shade on the walls to achieve this.
- Another common misconception is that the blanket appears too low when you color it. Don’t just paint it white because you’re afraid to achieve this effect. Interior designers state that by using the same shade of color on all of the walls you can create a sense of depth and give the illusion that your ceiling is higher.
- People allow color trends to control their selection. Your moods and feelings should define the hues you choose for interior walls. Your home should reflect your personality and lifestyle.
Where to look for inspiration
If you have no idea how to decorate your house, you should open some magazines and catalogs, as these have always been the basic requirement for the interior. With Pinterest, you can now search for ideas on your smartphone as this platform makes it easy to access millions of boards. Sometimes retailer websites like Ikea and Jysk can also inspire with their space vignettes.
Color trends change every year. If a happy shade like Living Coral was Pantone for 2019, they opted for something cooler and darker in 2020 to bring it back Classic blue. However, you can’t change the color of the walls every year, so you have to stick to one that represents your style identity. So where can you get inspiration if the color of the year is not a good choice? You can find inspiration anywhere from your favorite dress to your favorite book and favorite vacation spot.
You have to decide which mood you want to set for each room. For example, for a room with an outdoor terrace, you might want to be inspired by nature, so you can use blue or green. For the bedroom, which is a private space where you want to feel intimate, you can use deep hues like classic blue, gray, brown or deep plum. Choose something playful like Living Coral for your nursery.
Before choosing colors for interior walls, consider the furniture that you will be placing in each room. Is it neutral or does it come in bold colors? Fixed elements always influence your choice of color for the walls.
Work with the neighboring rooms
We were all in a house where the choice of colors was more than overwhelming. When you opened the doors, you felt like you were in a place where your eyes cannot rest and the house looked pretty busy.
The colors you use for interior walls should combine perfectly as you want to create a perfectly balanced space. Decide how you want people to feel when entering the house and choose a shade according to this particular emotion. You can give each room its own style and create a balanced color scheme.
The color of the walls is the connecting element in interior design. Do not choose a specific color tone before considering the appearance of the neighboring rooms. The colors must work together harmoniously to create a pleasant atmosphere.
Use low-VOC or VOC-free colors
Eco-friendly paint is more than a trend. Low or zero VOC paint helps you keep the air clean indoors. Paints, detergents and stains contain volatile organic compounds that can be very damaging to your health. When the paint hardens on the walls, airborne solvents are released that can affect the quality of the air we breathe.
As a student, you thought chemistry lessons were of no help if you weren’t working in the industry. fact is that Chemistry classes are invaluable in choosing colors and stains. Your chemical knowledge can help you create a safe indoor climate. Check the chemical compounds that the paint you want to buy contains to make sure they’re environmentally friendly and harmful to your health. Eco-friendly paints are a good choice because they help you limit exposure to VOCs.
You have probably experienced the fumes of a freshly painted house and their negative effects on your wellbeing. You don’t have to be allergic to color fumes to get a rash or breathing problems. Eco-friendly paints contain fewer solvents and harmful chemicals, making the above problems less likely.
Decide which finish you prefer
If you Choose the color for the wallsDecide how the finished product should look. You can choose from:
- The high gloss finish makes rooms shiny and polished. It is perfect for kitchens, children’s rooms and bathrooms as it is dirt-repellent.
- The satin finish gives the room a subtle sheen and is easy to clean.
- The satin finish is a popular choice because it blends harmoniously with any other finish.
- The eggshell finish is decorative and a great choice for dining and living rooms.
- The flat finish is modern and sophisticated, but difficult to clean. Therefore, use it in the bedroom and in low-traffic areas.
The guidelines above should help you choose the right interior color for your home. Feel free to experiment with colors.