Whether you’re just vacuuming and mopping, tidying up after a renovation project, doing a thorough cleaning, or in a hurry and just wanting to freshen things up, our carpet and floor cleaning tips are sure to come in handy.
No matter what type of floor or carpet you have, they all need to be cleaned thoroughly from time to time. While carpet and floor cleaning probably isn’t your idea of a good time, it doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be a hard and tedious task. The tips that we post in today’s article will help you keep your floors and carpets clean and make cleaning more comfortable for you too.
Floor cleaning tips
Regardless of what type of floor you have, there are some tips you can use to ensure that they are always clean and shiny without spending too much time and effort.
Here are some of the main ways you can achieve this:
- Wear indoor slippers
This is a pretty simple solution that will save you a lot of cleaning time and keep your floors clean of any outside dirt and bacteria that you can get on them through wear your shoes inside.
The same goes for your guests. So have extra slippers ready if you have guests with you.
- Sweep every other day and suck weekly
To keep your floors looking clean, you need to quickly sweep them daily or every other day and vacuum them weekly. Vacuuming collects more dirt and debris than sweeping, and your home stays clean and dust-free.
If you have a lot of space to keep clean and you are always scared of vacuuming because you have to pull that heavy vacuum with the cord all over the house, it’s probably best to go cordless and save yourself the hassle lugging around invasive extension cords and a heavy vacuum cleaner.
Cordless vacuum cleaners are lighter, more flexible and faster, which makes them more agile and user-friendly. The market is flooded with new ones literally every month at the moment, and Reviews appear everywhere so you can easily compare the best.
- Mop your floors once a week
After you’ve finished vacuuming, freshen up your floors and wipe them down with regular soap or water or a vinegar-water solution to give them a nice shine.
These products are environmentally friendly, cheap and non-toxic. This is an especially important factor when small children and pets are walking around the house (see also this guide on pet-friendly carpets).
You can also use a steam cleaner depending on what floors you have. A steam cleaner is especially useful if you have vinyl or porcelain tile floors as it gives you a quick and hassle-free way to get your floors clean in minutes.
And even if you have wooden or laminate floors, a good wash goes a long way in keeping them looking fresh and clean and extending their lifespan.
Carpet cleaning tips
Although some of the main tips above also apply to cleaning your carpets, such as: B. Wearing slippers inside to avoid picking up dirt and bacteria from the outside and vacuuming the whole house, including carpets and floors, weekly There are a few other things you can do to keep your carpets clean look and smell fresh.
- Refresh your old carpets
You’ve vacuumed and cleaned your carpets regularly, but now you want to improve your game and give your carpets a fresh, like new look …
You can do the following:
- The easiest option that most people use is to have their carpets professionally cleaned once or twice a year. While this is a time-saving option, there are a few other solutions you can turn to if you want to avoid this.
- A DIY carpet cleaning solution is to rent or buy your own steam cleaning machine that you can use to refresh your carpets yourself.
- If you plan to use store-bought carpet products for the steamer, read the instructions carefully as some of these solutions often leave stains that can make the carpet look dirtier over time.
- Some of the best homemade cleaning solutions you can use are vinegar and baking soda. You can make a cleaning paste with vinegar and baking soda to clean the carpets of stains and give them a fresh, new look. All you have to do is scrub the carpet with the mixture, let it stand overnight, and then vacuum it the next day.
- You can also use baking soda to freshen up old, musty carpets. Just mix a cup of soda with 10 drops of essential oil, sprinkle the mixture on the carpet, let it sit for an hour, and then vacuum thoroughly.
- Treat stains before they set
The longer you wait to clean any dirt or stains on your carpet, the harder it will be to remove. Don’t scrub stains, so that they do not pollute the environment and penetrate deeper into the fibers of the carpet. Instead, use a piece of cloth or a sponge to blot the stain and put some pressure on it.
To deal with a spill immediately and clear it up faster, you need to have your essential supplies on hand. It is best to have an emergency kit ready and easily accessible so that you can remove the stain immediately. The key consumables you’ll need in your kit include: club soda for beer and wine stains, shaving cream for regular stains, hydrogen peroxide for blood stains, and a commercially available stain remover for more stubborn stains.