Thermostat is an essential part of HVAC systems and cars. They help to measure the temperature and keep it in the optimal range. Unfortunately, they are prone to malfunctions, but it is not possible to notice the errors at first glance until you notice them.
What are the symptoms of a bad thermostat? Let’s find out.
What is thermostat, its properties and advantages
A thermostat (try it out Page? ˅) is a control device that is triggered when the degree range changes and the heating element’s power supply switches on and off. It is connected to the heating element via standard plugs, like a “plug with socket”. The voltage is supplied to the thermostat via the screw terminals.
If the thermostat sensor registers the temperature below the set value, the “heating” device switches on – it supplies the heating element with mains voltage. When the temperature reaches the preset value, the device switches off the heating mode.
When the heater is operating (the contacts of the superheater are closed), the heating element on and off cycles are performed and controlled by the control heater and depend on the degree range selected by the user.
The advantages of thermostats are:
- This is a simple, yet reliable construction for heating.
- It measures the water temperature and heats up automatically.
- There are different types of devices – there are numerous areas of application.
Types of thermostats
Today, automobile manufacturers equip engines with different thermostats. There are several main types of these useful structures:
- Electronically controlled devices. Suitable for all operating modes of the unit. Electronic devices are equipped with a special heating resistor. Known for its efficiency and accuracy. Using them can reduce fuel consumption.
- Single valve. Reliable and durable unit. Most vehicles are equipped with a single valve thermostat.
- Two valves. There are two valves in a thermostat: a main valve and a secondary valve. The main agent is used to circulate anti-freeze in a large circle. The second, the so-called bypass valve, only performs similar actions in a smaller circle. Two-valve thermostats are in demand in some countries, for example in the CIS.
- Two stages. The design also includes two valves: large and small. It is recommended that such a device be installed in a system with high coolant pressure.
Signs of a bad thermostat
Key indicators of poor device performance:
- The valve is detected when it closes. In such a situation, the sensor is triggered but cannot open the flap, which is why the antifreeze continues to heat up. You will find the measured values on the dashboard when the overheating indicator lights up.
- Loosely closed valve at the start of work. The liquid immediately moves in a large circle and cannot reach the temperature of 90 ° C required for engine operation.
- Warming up the car engine to the desired brand is too long or gradually leads to excessive heat.
- The arrow that indicates the engine temperature drops sharply as the car speeds up and rises the moment it stops.
- The lower branch pipe becomes warm after a few minutes of warming up – the device is constantly opened.
- The thermostat is stuck and closed when the engine is cooking, and the lower tube remains cold when the engine is warm.
How can the above problems be avoided? Choose reliable devices from established manufacturers. Partzstop offers the entire range of quality thermostats from leading manufacturers. Be sure to check our shop.