This article explains how WeatherTech floor mats can be cleaned without damaging them. Cleaning these mats appears to be a fairly simple task. In reality, they are much harder to clean than standard mats.
You could get away with the latter if you didn’t clean all the stains thoroughly. With WeatherTech mats, however, it is important to clean them to maintain their longevity and make them look much better. However, that is much easier said than done. These mats are known to show the stains much more clearly.
Another thing that makes them harder to clean is the material. You need to know some techniques and tools to use them. So read on to find out how to clean WeatherTech floor mats as accurately as possible.
WeatherTech Mats vs. Standard mats
What makes WeatherTech mats so unique and different from the standard mats?
First of all, they are made from materials that are much better suited to adverse weather conditions. WeatherTech mats are made of a rubber-like material that protects your vehicle floor from water and other types of dirt and at the same time lasts much longer. Standard mats, on the other hand, use similar materials to normal carpets and are therefore not as durable.
One of the biggest advantages of WeatherTech mats is the fact that they last even under heavy use and adverse weather conditions. Even when you enter the dirtiest areas, WeatherTech mats are designed to adapt to the conditions and withstand even the worst types of dirt. WeatherTech mats are definitely the way to go for high-performance protection.
A main difference between the two types of mats is the price. WeatherTech mats are a little more expensive than normal mats, but worth the money. This is especially the case if you use your car in rural areas with a lot of dirt. normal mats may simply not be ready. They also let dirt get into the bottom of the car, which WeatherMats doesn’t allow.
You can individually install a WeatherTech mat in your car and buy mats for every seat in your car, not just the driver’s seat. This will protect your car much better from dirt and debris on the floor, minimizing the need to clean your car so often. You just need to know how to clean WeatherTech floor mats. We’re here to help.
Here are the main specifications of WeatherTech mats:
- They resist adverse weather conditions and environments, especially dirt, sand and water. They can also be made to measure to fit your car properly. With the right dimensions you get a nice set of custom mats.
- The material of these mats is very flexible for all types of weather conditions and remains so even over longer periods.
- The mats are very suitable for adverse weather conditions; They don’t shrink when it’s too hot, and you don’t have to worry about them sticking when it gets hot.
- They have non-slip ridges on the underside that prevent them from shifting while driving. This can be annoying, and these mats are made so you don’t have to worry about it. These burrs also require a special cleaning method, which we will discuss later.
- WeatherTech mats last much longer than normal mats. They are made of a rubber-like material that is much better protected against wear, which is often the main reason for buying new mats.
How to clean WeatherTech floor mats
From time to time you have to consider cleaning your mats. Sure, these mats are more resistant to dirt and other debris that collect and damage the mat, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to clean them every now and then. With a few simple steps we discuss here, you can make them look brand new.
Remove the mat and shake it thoroughly before you start cleaning.
In this way you can remove the larger pieces of sludge and dirt, which makes the cleaning process easier immediately.
but how does it continue? There are two ways you can clean WeatherTech floor mats.
The first option is to use water and detergent to clean your mats, and then use a mat-specific detergent for a better cleaning process.
Shake the mat again before you start cleaning. This removes all larger sludge and dirt particles. Here are the steps you should take with option 1.
- Hose off. First place the mat on the floor and clean the mat with a hose. It would be nice to use a spray nozzle to adjust the hose flow. Soak the mat properly and get it wet. This way you can clean it more thoroughly later. (Optional: You can also use a pressure washer at this step, as it is much more effective at cleaning the particles because it delivers more pressure. However, not everyone has one, and a normal hose is also sufficient.)
- Scrub the mat with a mixture of detergent and water. The next step is to make a mixture of water and detergent (which can be a mild wash or detergent) in a bucket. Then start scrubbing the mat thoroughly. It is not recommended to use degreasers or foam cleaners as these can be abrasive towards the mat. Do not use silicone-based agents, as they can become slippery.
- Use a special floor mat cleaner. After you have thoroughly cleaned the mat with the mixture, you can use a cleaner that is specific to these mats. Spray it, brush it, and wipe it off.
- Clean the burrs. The bottom of the mat should also be cleaned where there are ribs so that the mat adheres better. Take the time to clean the burrs so that the mat sticks better.
- Rinse clean, dry, reinstall. Finally, you can use the hose again to rinse everything off. Then use a towel or other means to make it as dry as possible. Then reattach the mat to the floor of the car using the retaining hooks. And this is the first option.
The other way to clean WeatherTech floor mats is to soak the mats for a long time until the dirt wears out. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Fill the bathtub with soapy water. Fill the bathtub about halfway and then add a mild detergent or soap to the water. Mix it thoroughly and remember not to use harsh chemicals or products that contain them. Use milder products to avoid damaging the mats.
- Pick up the mats. The next step is to let the mats soak up thoroughly in the mixture. Depending on how dirty the mat is, you can leave it there longer. In some cases, an hour may be enough, while with some mats you can leave them in longer.
After soaking the mats, lay them out and scrub them with a sponge or towel. Now you will see how effective the bathtub was. If the mat still contains dirt, you can soak it longer and scrub again thoroughly. Repeat the process until the mat is free of dirt and mud.
You can also try other products, e.g. B. rubber or vinyl safe solutions. You can get them from the local car washer or mechanic. After completing the soaking method, follow the next step
- Rinse, dry, install. Rinse the mat thoroughly with clean water, dry it and put it back in your car. Hopefully the mat is now clean. If not, repeat the process again until the dirt is gone.
If you enjoyed reading this article on cleaning WeatherTech floor mats, you should also read this: